Fluval Spec V – 1 Month After Setup

Here are a few picture updates of some corals in my Fluval Spec V. Many of the corals were bought at discount from shops or local reefers due to one reason or another. Some were infested with flatworms, others barely had any colour.

However, in the 1 month + time that I've had them, they all appear to be doing well and on the mend. It's taken me the entire time to adjust my new lighting and I think I have it dialed in now for coral growth, and not so much visual appeal.

Note: There is hair algae, bryopsis, and bubble algae in my tank. They are under control and are fading away as I write this post.

Walt Smith Acropora Samoensis

walt smith acropora samoensis

Walt Smith Acropora Samoensis & Acropora Crab

walt smith acropora samoensis

You can see one crab in here. I have 2 and both are very lively. One of them has already molted successfully.


Forest Fire Montipora Digitata

Forest Fire Montipora Digitata

I fragged the lower tip because the branch was dead in the middle when I purchased it. Already the tip has grown over, and you can see the upper branch looks like it's starting to branch up in a few different areas. There is also a small branch behind glued to the rock and is doing well!

Here is the before photo:​

monti dead branch

What a difference, eh?!


Regular Bonsai Acropora

Regular Bonsai Acropora

Tabling Acropora (Unidentified)

Tabling Acropora (Unidentified)

Another acro that was in rough shape when purchased. It now has great polyp extension. I can't wait to see this one in 6 months.


Orange Setosa Montipora

Orange Setosa Montipora

The whitish parts facing the camera were where this piece was fragged. It's almost completely healed over.


Ultimate Bonsai Acropora

Ultimate Bonsai Acropora

Fresh cut piece that has started to encrust.


Blue Tenuis Acropora

Blue Tenuis Acropora

I was worried about this one when I purchased it, but it now has great polyp extension and looks great!


Pink Milipora

Pink Milipora

Sale piece infested with flatworms and other pests. It took quite a bit of effort to remove them, but it was worth it. I'll have to take a video of this piece so you can appreciate it's shag and long single polyp tentacles.


Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

This piece was pale, brown and had lost colour in big patches. I believe it was dying when I purchased it. It's starting to get some colour back and the polyps are out.


Rasta Zoanthids

Rasta Zoanthids

Couldn't pass up these rastas. They were infested with flatworms, so I got a deal $2/polyp. I spent quite a bit of time surgically removing them from their previous rock and taking care of the flatworm situation.

And that's it for now. Over the coming months I'll explain more about my setup and the life within it. I'm really excited to see how this reef grows!​

  • January 2, 2017
Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: